An ordinary day at The Element is anything but ordinary for teachers. Teachers may cook lunch with the students, help students develop their own business, or participate in a student- organized field trip on top of their daily lessons.
Teachers at The Element are focused on engaging students in their learning and their lives, and preparing them for successful, fulfilling futures. Our teachers are creative, open-minded and flexible and are able to work independently and collaboratively.
If you have something unique to offer and can make positive contributions to our program, we would love to hear from you. Current openings at The Element are listed below, but we welcome applications at any time. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter outlining how you can contribute to our program.
Grade 7 & 8 Full Time Teaching Position
Start date: October 5, 2020
The Element High School is seeking a full-time teacher for our combined grades seven and eight Montessori adolescent program. We are looking for a person who is dedicated, inspirational, able to effectively communicate with students and parents, and who feels working with adolescents is their true calling. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching at the middle school level, specializing in the Humanities subjects. A passion for the great outdoors and canoe camping experience is an asset.
Candidates will be required to take a Montessori training through Great Work Inc.
About the School:
The Element is a not-for-profit private school offering an academically rigorous and engaging high school experience in Ottawa, Ontario. When we are ‘in our element,’ we are focused, engaged, we’re internally motivated, strive to do our best, actively seek out those who can help us, and are fulfilled. At the Element we believe that education is more than just the study of academic content, education should be a preparation for life and we strive to immerse our students in authentic learning that incorporates the city as our campus. The Element is a welcoming and dynamic learning community of students and adults committed to sharing in Montessori best practices.
Located in the dynamic Lansdowne Park, The Element serves Grades 7 to 12 students in the Montessori tradition.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach grade 7 and 8 math, and Humanities subjects
- Work collaboratively with a co-teacher
- Attend faculty meetings
- Facilitate hands-on exploration, student collaboration, and problem-solving; integrate Montessori and innovative pedagogical practices into the curriculum
- Create meaningful partnerships with students, parents, and families
- Assess and provide on-going feedback to students. Report to parents regularly through parent/teacher conferences, report cards and phone calls
- Maintain accurate and up to date lesson plans and records of student work
Skills and Abilities:
- Uses student-centred teaching methodologies and other research-based practices;
- Is energetic, engaging, and creative with a clear love of students and the learning process;
- Collaborates with fellow teachers to develop integrated curriculum;
- Integrates educational technology to facilitate student-centred learning;
- Is a lifelong learner who is committed to continuing professional development and maintain memberships in professional organizations.
- Ontario College of Teachers certification
- A Bachelor’s degree in Humanities or related field required;
- Three to five years of teaching experience;
- Proficiency in digital tools for collaborative, student-centred learning.
- Experience teaching seventh and eighth grade students, teaching math and Humanities
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Must be eligible to work in Canada.
Apply for the position of e1 Teaching Position at The Element High School with resume and covering letter to:
Director, The Element High School